Goodreads Challenge and January To-Be-Read, 2015

Happy New Year, everyone! I can't believe it's 2015 already; I still feel like I'm midway through 2014. I hope you all have a great reading year in 2015, and a great year for everything else, too!

Unfortunately, what with 2014 ending up being a more hectic year than I expected, I didn't manage to complete my Goodreads Challenge of 80 books. I did reach 65 -which is better than nothing, yes- but I still feel quite disappointed that I didn't have as much time to myself to get those extra 15 books in. But there we go, that's life - it doesn't always go how you want it to, does it?
However, it's a new year so we can start again! For 2015, I decided I'm not going to put so much pressure on myself; I'll be challenging myself to read 52 books, one book a week. If I read more than what I set myself, well, that'll be a bonus.

With that in mind, here are the four books I plan on reading (in no particular order) in the month of January.


~ • ~



The Martian - Andy Weir

Ebury Publishing
February, 2014
I've been wanting to read this for a good while now and was even more set on reading it when it won in the Goodreads Choice Awards 2014 for Science Fiction.   I'm usually quite wary when it comes to adult fiction as some just don't hold my attention well, but when I saw it was in Kobo's Christmas Sale for €3.99 I just had to get it.
Compared to Castaway and Apollo 13, The Martian follows Mark Watney who is one of the first men to set foot on Mars. After a disastrous dust storm that forces his crew to flee, Mark -thought to be dead- is left stranded on Mars with few resources to sustain him. What follows is Mark’s desperate attempt to survive.



~ • ~


Zodiac - Romina Russell 

Penguin Books
December, 2014
After seeing this featured in one of my favourite Booktubers, Gingerreadslainey's, videos, I was super intrigued.
Zodiac is the first book in the sci-fi high-fantasy series of the same name, which is set in a galaxy inspired by the astrological signs.
There were once 13 Houses in the Zodiac Galaxy but now only 12 remain. Sixteen-year-old Rhoma, who has a unique gift for reading the stars, is a student from the ocean planet, House Cancer.
When unusual, catastrophic weather begins striking the Houses, Rhoma suspects there is more to it than meets the eye; in the stars she sees signs, signs that might just point to the cause of these catastrophes - the return of an exiled House Guardian of legend who has revenge on his mind.



~ • ~


Messenger of Fear - Michael Grant

Electric Monkey
August, 2014



Mara remembers her name, but nothing else. She finds herself facing the Messenger, a man who can see the darkness in hearts of young people, and the damage this darkness inflicts upon the world.
For those whose darkness goes unpunished, a game is offered. Win, and be freed. Lose, and face one's greatest fear. 






~ • ~


The Iron Trial - Holly Black & Cassandra Clare

Doubleday Children's
September, 2014
I was unsure of whether I’d ever read this; I generally don’t buy middle grade books as a rule, as most I’ve picked up have been too childish now that I’m past that age bracket. When I was out book shopping just before Christmas, though, I found a relatively cheap copy and thought I’d get it seeing as I usually do enjoy both Black's and Clare’s writing.

Passing the Iron Trial means admittance into the Magisterium. All his life, Callum Hunt has been dissuaded by his father from taking an interest in magic. He knows that he has to try his best at failing the Iron Trial as magic only spells trouble for him. However, he fails at failing - now the Magisterium, and an even bigger test, awaits.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.